Iowa State University Diagnostic Associate I - Molecular Diagnostic Lab in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Diagnostic Associate I - Molecular Diagnostic Lab
Job Group:Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:Bachelor’s degree
Special Required QualificationsMust have accurate color recognition
Preferred Qualifications:• Experience in a veterinary diagnostic service or industrial biological laboratory.
• Experience and/or demonstrated working knowledge of laboratory assays.
• Experience or demonstrated knowledge of quality assurance/quality controls
The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory Molecular Diagnostic Lab in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University is seeking qualified candidates for a part-time Diagnostic Associate I position. The ISU VDL is a full-service veterinary diagnostic laboratory engaged in missions of service, teaching and research on a daily basis. The laboratory processes 90,000+ submissions from veterinarians and researchers annually.
This position will be responsible for developing and validating assays used for diagnostic and research purposes, and managing a research caseload. Additional responsibilities include overall management, coordination, and supervision of the laboratory.
Example of Duties
• Performs a variety of diagnostic tests within a specific specialty area.
• Acts as a liaison between pathologists and laboratory personnel for research or case series submissions.
• Develops, validates and implements new assays for diagnostic and research purposes.
• Evaluates current protocols for effectiveness of tests and uses independent judgement to determine when adjustments to procedures are necessary.
• Assists in training staff and students.
• Works with clients to assist diagnosticians in communicating and troubleshooting testing needs and results.
• Individual contributor position with developing professional and/or technical skills working under immediate to general supervision
• Grasps professional-level knowledge and concepts of field while working in a progressive learning mode
• Works on problems and issues of somewhat limited scope
• Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data for which answers are available or can be obtained
• Responds to inquiries and issues, escalating to manager or higher level workers as appropriate
• May lead projects of limited scope and complexity
• May provide guidance to students
Appointment Type:Regular with Term Appointment (Fixed Term)
Proposed End Date or Length of Term:October 3, 2022
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover LetterIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: September 3, 2021
Posting Close Date:September 29, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R6134