HonorHer Jobs

HonorHer

Job Information

Queen's Health System RN - Emergency Room (Call in, Varied Shifts) in Honolulu, Hawaii

RESPONSIBILITIES

I. JOB SUMMARY/RESPONSIBILITIES

Responsible for coordinating clinical care of patient. Integrates all health care providers to ensure high quality patient/family outcomes, and establishes a consistent and accountable relationship with patient/family. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, initiation and development of the plan of care, patient/family education, utilization management and discharge planning.

II. TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS

Essential functions- Continuous: lifting up to 1/2 lb., seeing, hearing, talking, grasping, fingering. Frequent to continuous: standing, walking, stooping, forward reaching, handling. Frequent: pushing and pulling up to 30 psi, lifting up to 10 lbs., sitting, bending. Occasional to frequent: squatting, twisting. Occasional: pushing and pulling up to 70 psi; lifting: horizontal lift/carry up to 75 lbs. with assistance, floor to waist up to 35 lbs., waist to shoulder up to 25 lbs., overhead level up to 15 lbs.; carrying up to 35 lbs, running, climbing, side bending, kneeling, crouching, overhead reaching. Operates various machines/tools/work aids.

III. TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS

Inside work. Exposure to body fluids, blood products, and communicable diseases. Work environment may be highly stressful, fast paced and hectic. Assignment to inpatient adult psych areas and Family Treatment Center includes occasionally accompanying patients outdoors. Management of confused/disoriented and combative patients may involve tasks which may compromise physical safety.

IV. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

A. Education/Certification and Licensure:

1.Licensure: Registered Nurse, State of Hawaii

2.Diploma or Associate Degree in Nursing; Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing preferred.

3.Current BLS/HCP card in all areas; ACLS, NALS and/or PALS in designated areas.

4.Ability to read, write, speak and understand English effectively.

SCOPE OF SERVICE

The Queen’s Medical Center Emergency Department (ED) is a 45-bed unit that provides comprehensive emergency medical and nursing services 24 hours a day for patients of all ages. The QMC Emergency Department is designated, by the State of Hawaii, as the Trauma Center for Hawaii and is designated by the American College of Surgeons as the only Level I Trauma Center in the region. QMC is accredited by JCAHO as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. The Emergency Department is also the 5th Gold Certified Geriatric Emergency Departments in the nation.

A trauma team is available 24 hrs/day, seven-days-a-week, and may be activated by the ER Attending or RN on duty. A separate Fast Track/Mid Track area is opened from 07:00 am to 03:00 am for patients meeting the Fast Track/Mid Track criteria. A Stroke Code protocol may be activated on patients meeting the stroke criteria. The medical center also has a STEMI Code protocol with Cath Lab capabilities. The Psychiatric Residency program provides 24-hour psychiatric consultative services as requested by the Emergency Department physician.

Adults constitute 96.6% of patients seen. The remaining 3.4% of the patients are under the age of 18. The top 9 chief complaints include abdominal pain, shortness of breath, chest pain, sepsis, various traumas, psychiatric problems, cold symptoms, headache and weakness.

There are three primary treatment areas:

  1. Main ER (21 Rooms, not including hallways) - All rooms are equipped with monitoring capability, suction, oxygen, and airway supplies. There are some rooms that also have specialized equipment.

  2. Psychiatric/Behavioral Health Treatment Areas (6 rooms)

  3. Fast Track/Mid Track Area 5 enclosed rooms, 4 curtained rooms and 1 monitored hallway space

Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Vet

DirectEmployers