MD Anderson Cancer Center Materials Management Supervisor in Houston, Texas
The Shift is Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm Rotating Weekends
The primary purpose of the Supervisor, MMS position is to provide supervision and support for the operations of all sections of Materials Management Services. This position impacts day-to-day operations of assigned areas and departments throughout the institution with respect to inventory and logistics of patient and research supplies, equipment and services. The Supervisor staff member can be assigned to any operational area within Materials Management Services to include but not limited to PARS/Inventory/Linen/Equipment, Receiving, Asset Control and or Finance. This position must also comply with all departmental, Q.I., safety, fire, JCAHO guidelines that apply to the Materials Management area. This position is required to supervise and make sure all housekeeping and maintenance functions not inclusive of those performed by Environmental Services or Facilities Services are managed effectively. This position is also responsible to interact with customers to identify concerns and effect resolutions and demonstrate ability to provide rapid response to problems and the ability to utilize concentration skills in stressful situations; Assist in development of policies and procedures to ensure the proper handling, make sure the processing, delivery, storage and decommissioning of all merchandise and equipment; and participate on assigned projects and/or committees, as required.
Supervision of daily operations:
· Supervise---Place approved orders with vendors via computer download of par level inventories.
· In the event of a system failure, this function may be handled manually. Operate a handheld device for inventory management and/or signature capture.
· Participates in preparing and conducting of inventories.
· Supervise---Demonstrate competence in accessing information and performing tasks (issues, credits, print out of various reports) from the following software systems: materials management, point of use, patient charge labeling, linen management, package tracking and institutional mail. Verify inventory computations by comparing them to physical counts of stock and investigate discrepancies or adjust errors.
· Supervise---Determine proper storage methods, identification, and stock location based on turnover, environmental factors, and physical capabilities of facilities. Properly label or tag equipment or supplies before placing in the proper location.
· Supervise--- Supervise---Store items in an orderly and accessible manner in warehouses, supply
· rooms, or other areas. Examine and inspect stock items for wear or defects, reporting any damage to supervisors. Unload, breakdown, and sticker/label supplies, as required, for par level areas or inventory locations Receive and count stock items and equipment and record data manually or via computer (People Soft, McKesson) check supplies, linen or equipment for integrity or expiration dates, if applicable, upon receipt from vendor and when stocking, transporting any area--par level, exchange cart or inventory.
· Perform and supervise routine maintenance and inspection of materials handling equipment utilized by Materials Management Services. Maintain supplies, tools, equipment, and storage areas in order to ensure compliance with safety regulations. Keep records on the use and/or damage of stock or materials handling equipment. Assist in coordination of maintenance and repair of delivery vehicles. Operate materials handling equipment to include carts, pallet jacks, hand truck and ergo tug.
· Supervise---Maintain and prepare emergency carts and perform accurate emergency cart checks on assigned units.
· Supervise--- and perform receipt of all inbound materials to include supplies, linen and/or
· equipment by checking merchandise against order documents. Document deficiencies, if any, and refer problem situations to appropriate personnel for resolution. Deliver all requests for supplies, linen, equipment and/or packages to assigned areas in a timely and appropriate manner. Supervises receipt, inspection, storage and issue of all capital, controlled, salvage and surplus equipment.
· Supervise---and drive regularly scheduled or unscheduled routes between buildings and deliver
· Complete Driver Log following each trip and notate all gasoline purchases. Supplies, materials, and equipment; pick up, carry and deliver materials to specified locations.
· Monitors compliance with established procedures, problem correction or discrepancies in merchandise received inventoried or issued.
· Ensures timely and accurate processing of items shipped.
· Maintains electronic and hard-copy records all of issue and receipt data.
· Maintains records of monthly quality assurance inspections and audits performed by Environmental Health and Safety.
· Oversees the coordination and duties related to the on-line auction process. This includes supervising the buyers and potential buyers during the on-line auction inspection and removal process.
· Supervise---Drive regularly scheduled or unscheduled routes between buildings and deliver supplies, materials, and equipment; pick up, carry and deliver materials to specified locations.
· Complete Driver Log following each trip and notate all gasoline purchases. Represent the department by interacting with OR, Supply Chain Services, patient care and departmental representatives as needed to ensure proper performance of materials handling functions.
· Acts as departmental representative in collaboration with medical, nursing, research and administrative staff to ensure that material needs are met through direct contact and participation on assigned committees, process improvement initiatives or projects.
· Collaborate with clinical/research/administrative/facilities customers, vendors, MMS leadership and committees/teams when required to reconfigure processes and/or supplies and equipment sourced, delivered/received and or tagged.
· Leadership representative interacting with customers to identify concerns and effect resolutions and demonstrate ability to provide rapid response to problems and the ability to utilize concentration skills in stressful situations.
· Supervisors are expected to learn and maintain competency in the software applications utilized to support the Materials Management Services operations while mentoring and providing training to departmental staff as required.
· Responsible for attending all training within the department and pass the necessary test with a percentage of 80% accuracy which is an Institutional requirement and act as a trainer when required.
· Supervise Materials Management Services staff, patient care customers and chargemaster in the processing of patient charges and any related issues under the guidance of the MMS Manager of Finance.
· Participate in and lead staff meetings as required by Materials Management Services leadership.
· Participate as required by leadership in the rounding activity measurement for compliance to
· customer service expectations.
· Supervisor assumes on-call responsibilities for the department as required
2. Administrative/Training to include personnel administration, procurement and/or requisitioning, interviewing, counseling and disciplinary action.
· Prepares and conducts periodic and annual performance reviews for assigned personnel.
· Monitor employee attendance (including unauthorized overtime, tardiness, absences, and no lunch) and clocking patterns (failure to clock in/out) via the Kronos log.
· Performs routine QI to determine personnel competencies and operational efficiencies. Enforces policies, rules, and procedures within Materials Management Services.
· Assumes varied administrative and management responsibilities, including budgetary control.
· Issues instructions and guidance and takes corrective action where necessary.
· Responsible for departmental orientation and in-service training of charge and staff personnel; monitors progress of the employees; ensures that an adequate number of trained staff are available.
· Determines the training needs for assigned section/area; monitors progress of the staff and ensures that an adequate number of trained staff is available.
· Ensures evidence of testing is maintained to ensure employee has received adequate training which will satisfy the requirement of the Institutional policies and procedures.
· Documents any and all SOP changes and accounts for all staffing re-education and training as necessary.
· This position is expected to participate in in-house training to gain information regarding new policies, procedures, and systems, which are electronic and/or manual to assure appropriate response to issues, to acquire or refresh skills or to enhance job performance.
· Supervises maintenance of computer-based asset registry.
· Generates monthly and requested reports by management and performs analysis to recommend enhancements to productivity while streamlining processes and achieving departmental and institutional goals.
3. Data management to ensure the appropriate accounting for materials resources and their appropriate distribution as required.
· Supervise maintenance of records for inventory, acquisition and transfer of materials to ensure proper chain of custody, availability, accounting and accuracy for all incoming/outgoing materials (i.e. disposable/non-disposable materials, supplies and,
· equipment (i.e. capital, controlled or non-capital).
· Supervise clerical activities to include processing of receipts, transfers of assets from/to warehouse and other data collection activities as directed via manual or computer entry.
· Serve as back up and act as lead placing approved orders with vendors via computer download of par level inventories. In the event of a system failure, this function may be handled manually.
· Supervise operation of stationary and portable technology equipment/devices for inventory, replenishment, tagging and distribution management and/or signature capture.
· Demonstrate competence in accessing information and performing tasks (issues, credits, print out of various reports) from the following software systems: materials management, point of use, patient charge labeling, linen management, package tracking, institutional mail and asset management.
· Supervise maintenance and utilization of RFID tagging as required to support DME (durable medical equipment) tracking.
4. Other Duties as required
WORKING CONDITIONS This position requires:
Working in Office Environment X_ No X Yes
Working in Patient Care Unit (e.g. Nursing unit; outpatient clinic) X No X_ Yes
Exposure to human/animal blood, body fluids, or tissues X_ No X Yes
Exposure to harmful chemicals X_ No X_ Yes
Exposure to radiation X_ No X_ Yes
Exposure to animals X_ No X_ Yes
Education Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Education Preferred: Associate's or Bachelor's degree
Experience Required: Five years of experience in inventory, logistics or a related field to include two years of team lead/supervisory experience. With preferred Associate's degree, three years of experience in inventory, logistics, or related field to include two years of team lead/supervisory experience. With preferred Bachelor's degree, one year of experience in inventory, logistics, or a related field to include one year of team lead/supervisory experience. May substitute years of required experience to include two years of team lead/supervisory experience. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience.
Other Requirements: Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 159066
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Days
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 47,500
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 59,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 71,500
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Fund Type: Hard
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: No
Referral Bonus Available?: No
Relocation Assistance Available?: No
Science Jobs: No