Michigan Technological University Assistant Sponsored Programs Accountant in Lakeshore Center (Houghton, United States
Assistant Sponsored Programs Accountant
Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/1021/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=492693&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Job No: 21271
Department: Sponsored Programs Accounting
Work Type: Staff - Full Time
Location: Lakeshore Center (Houghton, MI)
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Department: Vice Pres For Research
Sub Department: Sponsored Programs Accounting
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The Assistant Sponsored Programs Accountant is responsible for submitting reimbursement requests to sponsors, financial reporting, and collection of outstanding receivables, post-award grant and contract administrative and accounting services, which includes award administration from set-up to closeout of sponsored projects and monitoring of expenditures. This position supports these services which require independent analysis and troubleshooting of problems while seeking solutions consistent with federal, state, and University laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
• Interpret and prepare billings, financial reports and support documents as indicated in the contract/grant agreements and regulations.
• Reconcile and review unbilled receivables.
• Administer the collection process for outstanding receivables.
• Independently interpret terms and conditions of sponsored agreements and make decisions on how to appropriately set up award data in the University’s accounting system.
• Independently review sponsored agreement expenditures and interpret sponsor regulations as well as University policies and procedures throughout the sponsored agreement to ensure compliance with federal, state, agency, and
• University regulations and policies.
• Advise, counsel and assist principal investigators, financial managers, and administrative assistants in the financial close-out of sponsored agreements and interpretation and use of accounting statements and reports.
• Respond appropriately to internal and external correspondence and inquiries.
• Assist in the development/modification of reports using BANNER/Oracle tables.
• Contribute to the review, identification, and establishment of pre and post-award policies and procedures for research and other sponsored programs.
• Participate in workshops and seminars to educate others in research and sponsored program administration.
• Participate in special projects and other assigned duties to further the department’s goals and objectives.
Supervision will be exercised over clerical support staff.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
Experience using advanced features of word processing and spreadsheet/database software.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Experience in accounting or related field.
• Experience in higher education environment.
• Experience extracting data/developing reports from computerized accounting systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service, written/oral communication, and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated sound time management and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated ability to perform detail-oriented work in a fast-paced environment with the highest standards of accuracy.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to adjust to constantly changing priorities with a friendly and professional manner.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under conditions with frequent and multiple interruptions, while completing tasks in a timely manner.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and take the initiative to solve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and contribute to the overall smooth operation of a service environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and be a self-starter.
• Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely express ideas and positions, both orally and in written form, to all levels of research professionals.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Experience with LEAN, Six Sigma, or other quality improvement processes.
• Familiarity with federal guidelines in regards to grant/contract administration or other guidelines external to the University
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable Based on Experience and Qualifications
Title of Position Supervisor
Sponsored Programs Accountant
Internal & External
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures* (minimum requirements)
Advertised: 13 Oct 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/1021/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=492693&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Refer a friend