Robert Half Senior Underwriting Manager in Palo Alto, California
Please reach out to Chris Fusco via LinkedIn with your updated resume or call (415) 434-1900 extension 21051 to be considered for the opportunity below.
Role: Senior Underwriting Manager
Our client is a fast-growing online lender focused exclusively on the franchise industry.
This Senior Underwriting Manager role reports to our Chief Credit Officer. You are a motivated team player who is passionate about people, process improvement, critical thinking and analytics. You excel at understanding and interpreting risk, and have experience with data analysis and small business underwriting. You are a self-motivated problem solver, and thrive in a fast-paced environment where you will work with a strong existing team of Underwriting professionals. Primary responsibility is to manage the underwriting team, improve team efficiency, hire strong talent, review loan applications and exceptions as needed and monitor the team performing credit, background checks and evaluation of business plans and/or business financials.
Key Areas of Responsibility
· Drive underwriting team efficiency through effective people management, process efficiency improvements and ongoing interactions with cross-functional teams
· Manage team to reviews financial statements and business forecasts and assesses applicant’s likely ability to meet loan obligations
· Manage team to determine customer creditworthiness by studying credit application, obtaining credit reports, analyzing other information provided by applicant, comparing financials/forecasts to benchmarks, conferring with CCO and/or sales, obtaining additional information when required, and recommending loans for approve/decline and interest rate assignment
· Efficiently direct team to draft pre-qualification letter and/or term sheet tailored to specifics of loan application under consideration
· Prepares comprehensive reviews, approves and prices loans up to assigned authority
· Understands credit bureau and industry performance data
· Reviews decisions on loan requests, including interest rate, up to assigned authority
· Communicates effectively with Loan Originations team regarding specific loan situations situation and any missing information
· Directs team to prepare final loan file and documents any exceptions or missing docs
· Own our Customer Identification Program, customer due diligence, and account risk rating for compliance with Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC, and USA PATRIOT Act
· Monitor applicant and account activity to 'Know Your Customer'
· Monitor loan package quality
· Monitor overall team and individual team member performance against established SLAs and continue to work with
· Stay current on and comply with regulations and company policies; report suspicious activity and compliance risks to management
· Strong managerial and motivational skills
· Acts with integrity and respect
· Self-motivated and strong work ethic
· Strong communication skills
· Team player who partners with sales team and understands the customer’s situation
· Negotiates effectively
· Highly organized and disciplined
· Proactively identifies opportunities for process improvements
· Able to effectively manage multiple deals and customers simultaneously
· Keen attention to detail
· Analyzes and creatively solves problems
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree (4 yr), preferably in an Accounting, Economics or Finance related field
· Minimum of 7 years related experience in small business credit underwriting including specific experience with detailed credit/financial analysis
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing a small business credit underwriting teams, including specific experience with detailed credit/financial analysis required
· SBA lending experience preferred
· Franchise lending experience highly preferred
· Salesforce experience
· Intermediate Excel and Google Doc skills
For details on salary, benefits and more detail, please reach out to Chris Fusco via LinkedIn with your updated resume or call (415) 434-1900 extension 21051 to be considered for the opportunity below.
Robert Half is the world’s first and largest specialized talent solutions firm that connects highly qualified job seekers to opportunities at great companies. We offer contract, temporary and permanent placement solutions for finance and accounting, technology, marketing and creative, legal, and administrative and customer support roles.
Robert Half puts you in the best position to succeed by advocating on your behalf and promoting you to employers. We provide access to top jobs, competitive compensation and benefits, and free online training. Stay on top of every opportunity – even on the go. Download the Robert Half app and get 1-tap apply, instant notifications for AI-matched jobs, and more.
Questions? Call your local office at 1.888.490.5461. Robert Half will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be legally authorized to work in the United States.