Nazareth College Shift Supervisor - Campus Safety (B Shift) in Rochester, New York
Shift Supervisor - Campus Safety (B Shift) Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Requisition Number 21261
Position Title Shift Supervisor - Campus Safety (B Shift)
Type of Staff Position Non-Exempt
If, Temporary begin date:
If Temporary, end date:
Department Campus Safety
Pay Rate $16.37/hour to $22.13/hour
Full-time/ Part-time Full-time
Work Hours per Week 40
Monday – Friday (3:00PM – 11:00PM)
Number of Weeks Per Year 52
Date Positon to be Filled
Title of Supervisor Assistant Director Campus Safety
Job Description Details
Job Description Summary
The Campus Safety Shift Supervisor is an essential employee responsible for performing general and varied campus safety/security related work in the protection of people and property with the goal of instituting a positive culture of safety across campus. The Shift Supervisor is responsible for oversight of their assigned shift including, but not limited to supervising Campus Safety staff and student employees, and providing leadership during emergency situations including ensuring that incidents are handled within College policy. Specifically the Shift Supervisor is the ranking decision maker on campus with responsibility for initiating and managing the College’s response to all significant incidents. Additionally, as a member of Campus Safety’s patrol staff the Shift Supervisor is a first responder to emergencies across campus including, but not limited to, fires and fire alarms, theft, vehicle accidents, missing persons, welfare checks, medical situations, mental health crisis, property damage, and injuries and accidents.
As a college authority, the Shift Supervisor is also charged with enforcement of laws (federal and state) and Nazareth College policies for all of the community. The Shift Supervisor is charged with building and maintaining positive relationships with students, faculty, staff and departments. The Shift Supervisor maintains order and promotes a positive community relations, tactful diplomacy and customer service within a Department that operates 24 hours a day and in all conditions.
Work assignments and investigation duties involve various areas covering the entire 150 acre campus on assigned shifts. Must be able to act without direct supervision, and exercise independent judgment, and quick decision making handling critical situations, and emergencies that can impact the college. This position is a Campus Security Authority as defined by the Clery Act.
As a member of Campus Safety’s patrol staff the Shift Supervisor documents all activities and situations across the College. Documentation includes narratives, witness statements, pictures, and interviews.
As a member of Campus Safety’s patrol staff the Shift Supervisor also provides general support to the department and college. Duties include, but are not limited to, door/room unlocks/locks, issuing parking citations, performing inspections of installed safety and security equipment, vehicle lockouts and jump starts.
Oversees the operations of assigned shift and deals with assigned staff performance issues. Reviews all submitted reports and initiates appropriate corrective action on security, safety and fire safety violations. This includes Daily Activity Logs, Officer Daily Activity Reports, Incident Reports, Building Inspection Reports, etc. | 25%
Provide regular, definitive performance feedback to all reporting staff on matters of performance, conduct, attitude, customer service, safety, and appearance. Communicate with the staff to enhance relations and build greater trust and rapport. | 15%
Patrols campus in order to observe, report, and deter suspicious and/or criminal activities, respond to emergencies, document all incidents, and take appropriate actions in line with the laws of New York State and the rules and policies of Nazareth College | 10%
Responds to, assess and leads appropriate response procedures in line with Departmental policy for all major emergencies on campus (medical and mental health emergencies, fires/fire alarms, social unrest, auto accidents, etc.). Ensures that all campus buildings are secured and unlocked in accordance with building hours and special requests and in the best interest of the College. | 20%
Performs all means of assistance as needed including vehicle assists, lockouts, escorts, information requests, transports, etc.). | 10%
Issues appropriate tickets for parking and moving violations | 10%
Observes, reports, initiates corrective action on any defects in the buildings, roadways, walkways, or any safety or fire safety violations that may pose a security or personal threat to students, faculty, staff, or visitors. | 10%
Other duties as assigned.
Additionally Shift Supervisors are responsible for:
· Maintain shift coverage and special events/athletics schedule including PTO and Overtime schedules
· Oversight of Student Patrol Program including payroll, equipment, uniforms, scheduling, duty binder, confidentiality forms, training, orientation, and performance review.
· Collaborate with Campus Operations for Special Events planning and attend Events meeting.
· Oversee ongoing events including traffic and parking needs, and serve as liaison to event coordinators
· Ensure that shift statistics are being maintained regularly and consistently in order to inform data driven decision making.
· Oversee weekly Blue Light inspections are being completed and any pertinent work orders are being submitted
· Oversee monthly Fire Extinguisher inspections are being completed
· Oversee monthly building inspections and pertinent work orders are being completed.
· Serves as a Field Training Officer for new hires during their four week training period.
Required Education, Experience, Technology Applications and Skills
Required Education: N/A in order to field the broadest and most diverse applicant pool possible Campus Safety hires based on candidate’s skills set. Specifically Campus Safety focuses on transferable skills and the candidate’s ability to develop them.
One year in public safety or a related field with supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Understand Campus Safety’s role in helping to promote and support Nazareth College’s mission.
· Ability provide quality service to the Nazareth community and represent the College to other Departments and external organizations.
· Ability to independently assess crisis situations and initiate and manage the College’s response to a crisis.
· Demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse workplace.
· High emphasis placed on professionalism and service to community.
· Annual participation in professional development.
· Must have a valid Driver’s License with a driving record that meets the standards set by Nazareth College’s defensive driver program and current NYS Security Guard certification/registration.
· Must obtain CPR / AED , emergency oxygen and first aid training certification cards within 90 days of employment.
· Must obtain training in Narcan, Crowd Management, Defensive Driving, and driver orientation, Bloodborne pathogens, Campus Security Authority status within 90 days of employment.
· Additional training requirements include accident/injury response and documentation, investigations, and response to carbon monoxide and oxygen deficient alarms.
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential data, as well as high pressure emergency situations.
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and delegate as needed.
· Ability to utilize good judgment to analyze situations accurately, and adopt an effective course of action.
· Ability to successfully manage interpersonal working relationships.
· Strong written and verbal communications skills.
Preferred Education, Experience, Technology Applications and Skills
Three years in public safety or a related field with supervisory experience.
Full Supervision of other non-supervisory employees. May share some responsibility for employment decisions with higher level management.
Ability to patrol, walk, lift, drive and stand for extended periods of time.
Equipment to be used
Campus motor vehicle; communication equipment (radio); AED device; standard office equipment.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Date 11/20/2023
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link https://jobs.naz.edu/postings/3696
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).