University of Utah Software Design Engineer in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 10/13/2021
Requisition Number PRN28010B
Job Title Software Design Engineer
Working Title Software Design Engineer
Job Grade F
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 00336 - KUEN/Utah Education Network
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $47,600/yr. to $90,400/yr. DOE
Open Until Filled Yes
KUEN is looking for a software design engineer.
Designs, modifies, develops, writes and implements software programming applications. Supports and/or installs software applications/operating systems. Participates in the testing process through test review and analysis, test witnessing and certification of software. Following general guidelines and accepted technical approaches performs tasks in the design, development, and implementation of software engineering applications, the analysis and investigation of software engineering project tasks, the definition of design specifications and parameters, development and application of standard routines and utility programs, resolution of hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations and analysis of system architecture requirements and structure.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency and 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Department Specific Requirements
The ideal candidate is an experienced full-stack, Java web developer with demonstrated high proficiency in the following technologies and tools:
• Java 8 required, Java 9+ desired
• Spring Framework 4 & 5, Spring MVC
• REST web services and JSON
• HTML5, CSS3, responsive design
• Source control with Git / Bitbucket
• Demonstrated ability to debug both client- and server-side code
An ideal candidate also has:
• Filemaker experience
• Tomcat (basic configuration and use)
• Development experience on the MacOS (OS 10.x) and the ability to maintain one’s own laptop and software stack
• Effective verbal and written communication skills and effective interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of industry standard software development methodologies and practices
• The ability to capture user requirements and develop design documentation and user interfaces
• Ability to code detailed, functional pages from mockups in collaboration with designers
• Experience in developing software for the entire development life cycle, requirements gathering, analysis and design, development, test, deployment, support, and retirement
• Experience writing clean, maintainable, and testable Java code (including unit tests), using design patterns, industry standards and best practices.
- Database design experience
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
These are additional desirable skills, but not required:
• Development in the Eclipse IDE , Spring STS , or IntelliJ IDEA
• Maven use and understanding and authorship of POMs
• Unit testing with JUnit in Spring MVC
• Atlassian JIRA and Confluence
• Knowledge of continuous integration with Jenkins and Bitbucket
• Experience working with PostgreSQL and DbVisualizer
• JSP , JSP Documents ( JSPX ), or Thymeleaf templates
• Logging with Log4j 2
• SOAP web services, Jersey 1.x and 2.x, Apache Axis 1.x, XML
• Spring Security, Spring Data ( JPA /Hibernate)
• Knowledge of Identity and Access Management ( IAM ) methodologies, specifically with WSO2,
• SAML , OpenID / Connect
• Experience with Lucene indexing and Hibernate Search
• Bootstrap, UIKit experience
• Familiarity with virtualization tools including, VMware Fusion and Vagrant
• Knowledge of Apache 2.4+, including basic configuration and the implementation of rewrite / redirect rules
• Experience with RESTful API development / standardized grammar design
• Experience developing for mobile platforms
• Struts 1 and Struts 2
• Understanding of IP address numbering (IPv4 / IPv6)
• GUI testing with Selenium
• API testing with Postman
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran’s status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action ( OEO /AA)
135 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu
For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com (%firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 801-581-2300.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.